Re: [Xen-devel] Dom1 always does DHCP requests and vmid increasing

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 22:17, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > I've been lurking on the list for a while, but I haven't tried Xen out
> > until a few days ago.  I have things working in general, but can't figure
> > out a couple of things.
> >
> > Firstly, domains other than domain 0 always do a DHCP request, no mater
> > what is configured.  If I have a static address configured in the OS rc
> > scripts the DHCP address is assigned as the primary and the static
> > address is the secondary.
>
> There's nothing in your config file below to cause the kernel to
> do a DHCP. Are you sure that your rc scripts aren't doing it?

THe DHCP request that I am seeing requests ip adddress 1.2.3.4.  The only
place that I can find that address mentioned is in the domain configuration,
so I don't believe that it is the rc scripts, but I will have another look
later in the day.  Syslog entries also indicate that it is a kernel DHCP
request as opposed to a dhcpcd request.

> > Secondly the vmid always +1 what ever the last vmid was no matter what
> > the vmid is set to for the xm create command.
>
> Ah -- this is a common confusion: 'vmid' != 'domid'.
>
> The xmdefaults example configuration script is a slightly complex
> example that takes a parameter ('vmid') and hence enables you to
> use the same config file to start multiple domains, assuming
> you're assigning them consecutively numbered ip addresses and
> partitions.
>
> When a domain starts, it's given a 'domid' which is a handle that
> xend uses to refer to the domain when talking to Xen (It's kind
> of like a PID in Unix). The very latest version of the tools
> hides domid's from users to avoid this confusion. (A VM's domid
> will change when it reboots or migrates, so it's a bad handle for
> users to use when talking about a domain).
>
> The way most people user the tools is to write a separate config
> file for each domain they want to start, hence removing the part
> at the top of the script that expects a parameter to be set.

I think I understand that.  I will have a look it again tonight.

Thanks for the help.