Re: [Xen-devel] xm create option parsing..

Mike Wray wrote:

Ian Pratt wrote:

It's an artifact of getopt - it stops parsing options at
the first non-option. So

It think there's a getopt flag to process options anywhere
in the args, but this is a problem for a multicommand like xm
that has its own options as well as subcommand options.

Basically options (-x, --x) have to precede args.

I think the current behaviour is sufficiently unintuitive that we
need to fix it: after finding the sub command, we should scan the
whole of the rest of the command line for args.

What does -x and --x do ?  I couldn't find them in the help
message.

Just example option flags.

I think the best policy is to ensure that arg flags never clash
between 'xm' and it's sub commands (I don't believe we currently
have any clashes), and to look for them in any position.

We potentially have

xm <xm options> subcommand <subcommand options/args>

It doesn't really make sense to allow xm options after the subcommand.

Each subcommand is responsible for parsing its own options, so
we could get 'xm create' etc. to allow options after the args.
I'll make the change.

Oops. The gnu-style getopt parsing is a Python 2.3 feature - not
available in 2.2. So we can't enable it at the moment.

Mike