[Xen-devel] Xen installation problem

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ketan Pandya" <kpandya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:11:13 -0400
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 07:43:56 +0100

Hello,

I tried to install Xen as per instructions from README.CD of Xen demo cd, but am unable to boot Xen and get message "Kernel panic : No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel".  Any help will be appreciated..

My steps were following

1) Installed Red Hat Enterprise AS 3.0 Update 2(RH)
2) Copied xen.gz and xenolinux.gz from demo cd/boot to /boot of RH
3) Modified grub.conf and added following lines.  Note that the path is relative to /boot

title Xen
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 ser_baud=115200 noht noreboot
        module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0

4) Rebooted the machine and selected Xen from the Grub menu.  At this point the machine seems to go through some sequence and eventually a message is displayed "Kernel panic : No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel".  From this point nothing else happens and Xen does not boot.

I also downloaded binary build from nightly snapshots ( xeno-1.2-install.tgz    ) and then used xen.gz and xenolinux.gz from the download, but no luck.

As I am not experienced with kernel etc., not sure if I'm missing something or I must build from the source.  Right now I am just trying to get feel about Xen and so rather avoid building source.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

/Ketan A. Pandya