Re: [Xen-devel] Custom build the Xen0 kernel && miscellany

Personally I found it a bit tough to manage configs with the curent
kernel building phase of the xen sources. As a result I wrote the
beginings of a kernel builder for xenlinux images and modules.

If youi hit http://www.terrabox.com/debian/binary you shouyld see a
package called xenlinuxbuilder. It's a simplified method for specificly
building xenlinux kernels based on the installed version of
xen-kernel-packages. To build a specific configuration of a kernel I do:
debian/rules clean menuconfig tarball PRIV=[yes|no]
LIN_VER=[2.4.27|2.6.8] EXTRA=[whatever extraversion label]

note: you MUST specify clean prior to tarball curently IF you apply any
3rd party patches to the source. It doens't handle detecting extra
patches, yet. My goal is to create a mak-kpkg like system specificly for
debian initially, later for general use. It will save your individual
configs into configs/ for reuse after you have fully configured the
individual kernel.

 It will produce a single tarball for /boot and /lib/modules for
privileged kernels, and separate /boot and /lib/modules tarballs for
unpriv kernels. This has made it a bit easier for myself to generate and
maintain separate and easilly built kernels for my various xenlinux
images.

If you are managing more than just 1 or 2 kernel versions then this may
be a smoother method for compiling and packaging since *eventually* it
will produce .deb packages that will verify which xen version it is that
you are running on the underlying xen kernel.

I have also packaged up the xen distro as pre-compiled binaries for xen
on Debian Sarge. I'm close to having a nightly export run that will bk
update, debian patch, compile, and package them automagically. :) I'm
willing to share my custom makefile for doing this if you want to
maintain a local repository of xen packages.

I stil have a good bit of work to do before I can send the debian/* tree
upstream for inclusion into xen proper if the gang will accept them. :)

I also need ideas on how best to tie the debs into the netbsd vhost disk
image so that I can build netbsd server images dynamicly. Right now i'm
taking a look at the  xenoboot software to see if I can't package it up
for debian to keep from reproducing a lot of the work that has already
been done.

as far as number of images that I run per machine, a friend of mine runs
~20 images on a 4GB dual p4 machine at his offices. I run 6 athlon xp
2000+ machines, each with 1GB ram that run from 2 to 10 images each. So
far not a single beta client has complained of any kind of CPU or
performance issues. So far it appears that memory is more of an issue
here than anything else due to the amazingly low overhead of xen when
using NAS or SAN based storage. :)

As far as selling vhosts using xenlinux kernels, I wouldn't make it an
official product just yet. It's stable for local disks, and in general,
however I have run into various issues that have poped up related to
iSCSI and other momentary glitches as I do semi-daily updates of the
cluster. I would let the xen team get to an official 2.0 release before
truly pushing vhosts out as a paid-service (unless you get a few clients
to sign up for them with the understanding that they aren't guaranteed
stable yet).

If you go lok at http://xen.terrabox.com there is a page for companies
to list themselves on that offer xen based virtual hosts that I started.

Hope this helps from the business perspective for you. :)

Brian