Re: [Xen-devel] A snapshot is not (really) a cow

> I successfully created 2 new snapshots while another was in use as the
> root file system of a xenU domain. Previously this had failed
> immediately.  Then the  next lvcreate -s failed with a message about
> running out of memory, as before.
>
> I wonder whether the timing problem I have which affects rpm is also
> causing some problem?
>
> The relevant bit of /var/log/messages is:
>
> ... lots of nbdNNN messages ...

Are you using NBD? Our default kernel has it compiled in, but it
looks like some of your start up scripts are trying to initialise
it, or you have some daemon that's polling the devices.

It looks like the error messages are hammering the machine pretty
hard from time to time. It's definitely worth figuring out what's
causing it. Or, compile nbd out of the kernel...

> Sep 26 19:53:44 a4 kernel: lvcreate: page allocation failure. order:0,
> mode:0xd0
> Sep 26 19:53:44 a4 kernel:  [__alloc_pages+824/842]

Seeing the output of /proc/slabinfo and /proc/meminfo might be
interesting. And idea why the machine might be under memory pressure?

Ian