Re: [Xen-devel] A snapshot is not (really) a cow

Although I did get quite a lot wrong in my analysis, I come back to the point that as lvm2 creates additional snapshots of a the same original, it adds them to a list of snapshots of that original. If something goes wrong while a new snapshot is being added, the effect in my experience is pretty bad: all of the other snapshots of the same original become unusable and you lose control of xenU domains that have their root filesystems in those snapshots.

There may be a bug in lvm2 in the handling of error conditions when adding a new snapshot. But if there are linkages between snapshots of the same original it is going to be pretty hard to guarantee that the snapshots are properly independent of each other and proof against this kind of snarlup.

You can see what I mean if you look at the code:

drivers/md/snap.c: line 76
/*
* One of these per registered origin, held in the snapshot_origins hash
*/
struct origin {
   /* The origin device */
   struct block_device *bdev;

   struct list_head hash_list;

   /* List of snapshots for this origin */
   struct list_head snapshots;
};

drivers/md/snap.c: line 922 +
static int __origin_write(struct list_head *snapshots, struct bio *bio)
   {
... code which propagates a write to the original to all the snapshots on that original ...
   }

Of course I would be delighted to be wrong, or to find that a little bugfix or two in the lvm code will do the trick. But it feels wrong to have any connection between the independent cow images, and it probably explains why we can't have cow image of cow images, which don't really present a problem if all the linkages refer backwards from the cow image to the original. Not that I see a violent need for cow pyramid structures.

-- Peri