Re: [Xen-devel] migration

> I just tested live migration, and after migrating I could ping the
> domain in its new location but couldn't connect to it. Shortly after I
> found that the iscsi target (another linux box) had crashed, so possibly
> the migration actually worked and the iscsi failure was why I couldn't
> connect.
>
> I tried it a second time and 'xm migrate' is just sitting there.
>
> Is live migration considered working at this point? Is there anything
> special I should know about it? What are the steps to do a non-live
> migration?

It's certainly believed to work, but it's not been widely tested.

I've done hundreds of migrations of domains running loaded
databases and web servers, and it works for me.

'xm migrate' on its own does a stop-and-copy migrate. Adding the
'-l' flag makes it a live migrate where the OS isn't stopped.

Live migration is a lot more "exciting" from an implementation
point of view than stop-and-copy, so if you do have bug reports
it would be very useful to know whether you can repeat them in
stop-and-copy mode.

NB there are a few migration fixes that are in unstable that
haven't been pushed through to 2.0 yet.

Ian