Re: [Xen-devel] xen affinity in an SMP system

> > As I understand it, a domain is tied to a specific CPU on startup, and
> > if it can be changed, it can only be changed manually. Is that right?
>
> Yup, it's changed manually using an xm command (probably "xm pincpu [dom]
> [cpu]" but I've never used it and could be wrong ;-).

Yes, that works.

> > Is it possible to have xen (or xend) check at regular intervals and move
> > a domain to another physical CPU depending on current load?
>
> Currently this isn't done but it's perfectly feasible.  Sensible options are:
> 1) Have an scheduler in Xen that will migrate domains about at run time.
> 2) Have the load balancer task in Xend.

Alternatively you could do it with a small external program. This
would poll either xend to get load stats for each domain, or could use
libxc directly. It would then talk to xend to re-pin appropriate
domains.

A nice simple modular piece of functionality that would be easy to
maintain and modify.

 -- Keir