Re: [Xen-devel] Documetation - The Phantom Menace

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 14:55:41 +0000
"Mark A. Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> * If you found there were any special steps involved in getting Xen working
> on
> your distro, beyond what the docs describe, please let us know.  We'd like to
> cover any distro-specific quirks...

With Gentoo pre-udev (which is still most installations), you need to
enable devfs, procfs, and devfs automount@boot in the xen0 config.

> * If there's anything you'd really like to see in the docs then please tell
> us
> (if you can contribute the start of some text, that'd be even better!).

I think general suggestions about how to merge old kernel configs would
be helpful (I've had to do this many times, it's not tough but I've
always imagined most people need to do this).

> * If you've written any howtos, we'd like to incorporate them into the main
> user manual.

Here is a rh7 install log...
http://serverajar.com/rh7_install.txt

It's not a big howto, but maybe you could include the 8 or 9 steps
necessary to get ttylinux running, it might be helpful for 'newbies'
like myself who just want to get something working quick to get a feel
for things?

I reposted the file here, I can leave it indefinitely.
http://serverajar.com/tty-xenlinux.html

I actually use this image; because ttylinux is based on glibc2.3 (and
not an old libc or uclibc), it's easy to build up from the 4MB base IMO
(like for an IDS or bridging firewall) with recent or precompiled
software.

I think this tutorial is good for getting up and running, I found this
via Google, but I don't know if it is public or not...
http://openlab-mu-internal.web.cern.ch/openlab-mu-internal/Documents/Reports/Technical/Summer%20Students/xenhowto.pdf