Re: [Xen-devel] CKRM port

> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Diwaker Gupta wrote:
>
> > Is anyone working on porting CKRM (ckrm.sf.net) to Xen. Actually I'm
> > interested in hierarchical class based resource management
> > functionality provided by CKRM. If someone has a head start already,
> > I'd love to hear about it.
>
> I don't see why this would need to be inside Xen itself.
> Scheduling and resizing virtual machines happens on a
> larger granularity than scheduling and managing the memory
> of groups of processes.
>
> This should make CKRM style resource management doable
> from a userspace program in guest 0, tweaking the priorities
> of the unprivileged guests and resizing their memory.

That's certainly our view.

It would be kinda nice to have control over all the VMs
integrated into the same name space as the dom0 kernel's CKRM,
but its not really necessary. I'd rather have something in a
similar style done by a daemon in user space, enabling control
over all the VMs in a particular cluster rather than just the
local machine. The intention would be to provide a single
management interface for a whole cluster, with a pool of VMs
running over it. Live migration gives you a good deal of
transparency as regards moving VMs between physical nodes.

Ian