Re: [Xen-devel] Xen - Mosix cluster

One can imagine some uses of Mosix in XenLinux atop Xen.  Xen still gives
isolated driver domains and the ability to migrate domains around when you
want to take a machine down for maintenance.  These features might be useful
even if you only have one Mosix VM per node.

I agree that most people will probably just have a straight Mosix cluster or
use Xen just as a test environment.

> If, however, Xen were on top of the stack, we may be able to achive  both
> purposes.

This is the real problem - Xen is specifically designed to live under the
operating system kernel and provide a hardware-like abstraction.  It's not
really aware that processes exist - they're a guest OS concept.  Xen is not
really aware of the abstractions within a domain...

I see where you're coming from, though - it'd be neat to pool resources more
flexibly this way.

> From Xens point of view, it would just have a way
> big honker of a machine to work with.

Since Xen lives at the bottom of the stack, this isn't really possible - Xen
itself is really intimately tied to the specific machine its working on.  In
contrast, Mosix can provide users with the illusion of a big machine but it's
intimitely tied into the Linux kernel.

I don't know so much about OpenSSI, how does that abstract things to the user?

> This would also allow a high demand
> OS environment to grow past the single machine limit.  This might also help
> with issues of bringing nodes on and off line.

This leads to an interesting thought though - Xen does accurate resource
accounting on what domains have used.  That's one of its strengths.  A cool
idea (although not one that'd necessarily get done) that'd partially address
your problem would be to plug Xend into Mosix's process migration mechanisms.

e.g. only allow a process migration to another node if the domain owner has
paid enough and then keep track of the resource usage on the remote node *as
well*, so that the total resource usage is known.  One could imagine creating
XenLinux/Mosix domains on other nodes on-demand when the user's virtual
machine wants to migrate a compute-intensive process.  (Domains running in a
ramdisk only take a few hundred milliseconds to start, so this is quite
feasible).

This way one could get some of the advantages you mention and retain the
strong isolation, resource accounting, etc.

I'll have a think about that, since it does sound kinda cool ;-)

Mark