Re: [Xen-devel] experience with gnbd

Ian Pratt wrote:
In the last couple of days we've been playing around with gnbd as
an alternative to iSCSI, as we found that the performance of the
current cisco linux iSCSI implementation was fairly awful talking
to our NetApp hardware target.

Cool, need to try this as an alternative to the 'iscsitarget' from sourceforge, even though that also works fairly well, serving disks from dom0.

What kind of performance improvement did you experience? This is not just due to the NetApp filer being on a separate network with a router or firewall in between (if I recall correctly)?

I haven't tried it, but the csnap writeable snapshot driver looks
worth investigation too -- its design is rather more reassuring
than lvm2 snap.

Perhaps it is better to have the writable/client-specific parts of your root filesystem (/tmp, /var/tmp, perhaps /etc) mounted via NFS (or something else, or just as symlinks to a separate device) on top of a read-only generalized rootfs (like the debian diskless packages used to do), rather than trying to handle this at the block-level. It seems to me all sorts of bad stuff can happen with a writable block-level overlay, for instance if you try to upgrade the filesystem underneath.

Jacob