Re: [Xen-devel] USB driver

> Do you have USB support enabled in the XenoLinux kernel for Dom0? I
> don't think it is on by default.

To enable it, do:
cd xen-2.0.bk/linux-2.6.8.1-xen0/
make ARCH=xen xconfig
# now enable the USB options that are relevant to you
cp .config ../install/boot/config-2.6.8.1-xen0
cd ..
make world

Alternatively, re-use a config from an old kernel that has your preferred
options enabled:
cd path_to_old_config xen-2.0.bk/install/boot/config-2.6.8.1-xen0
cd xen-2.0.bk
make world

> >   Can you tell me if this would require you to make modifications to
> > both Xen as well the linux kernel or just one of them?
>
> It should only require changes to XenoLinux. Essentially we would give
> one VM access to the USB HW and then have faked USB controllers in other
> domains talking via some control channel to the USB VM. We'll probably
> fake out a virtual USB hub per domain to which we can assign real USB
> devices. Basically a similar approach to what we do with PCI.

Xen basically doesn't care about USB anyhow, so it'll all be done at the level
of domain 0.  There's not a lot for me to add to Rolf's description.  I think
that it should be possible to get pretty good performance USB virtualisation.

As far as unpriv domains are concerned they will have a USB controller of type
"Xen HCI" instead of UHCI, OHCI or EHCI as you get for real hardware.  This
host controller will be implemented entirely in software and will talk to a
"backend" driver in dom0, which will in turn talk to the actual USB hardware.

HTH,
Mark