Re: [Xen-devel] xen Makefile being nasty with EXTRAVERSION

> > Yeah, playing with the directory name is gross!
> >
> > I'm trying out replacing this with:
> >  XENVERSION   ?= -xen
> >  EXTRAVERSION := $(EXTRAVERSION)$(XENVERSION)
> >
> > I've then changed the repository makefile to override XENVERSION with
> > -xenU or -xen0 as appropriate. If it works as expected I'll check it
> > in.
>
> That's going to be a pain to remember to set XENVERSION on the
> command line if we're building directly within the kernel
> directory, which people do all the time (e.g. after changing the
> config on a kernel). I think 'baking' the extraversion into the
> tree via a .extraversion file is the best soloution.

How many people who build outside our 'make world' environment
actually want a version extension anything other than "-xen"?
I think almost everyone would leave it as the default or specify it
via an external Makefile (like we do!).

I think having yet another config file is more hassle for additional
unwanted flexibility.

 -- Keir