[Xen-devel] problem with increasing memory

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dan Cardamore <dan@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:56:24 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:00:19 +0000

Hi,

I'm very new to xen and I'm playing with it to see if it's what I want
to use.  I want to be able to create virtual machines that are limited
in how much memory they can use.

I get this error repeated until I kill the machine:
"""
  deflate_balloon: xen increase_reservation err 0
"""
It gets printed over and over again.

I'm running gentoo linux on the real machine, and ttylinux in my example
virtual system.

I created this problem by following these steps:
1.  create the system following the manual's config example of ttylinux
2.  limit the system using maxmem
3.  inside the virtual machine I echo a number bigger than what I should
    be allowed into /proc/xen/memory_target

Before running maxmem on the domain, I was able to change the memory
balloon from outside and inside the domain.  Once the problem happend,
xend was running at 57% cpu utilization on the gentoo host and I
couldn't ctrl-c or xend shutdown the system.

Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this a bug?

Dan

--
Dan Cardamore
dan@xxxxxx