Re: [Xen-devel] which (pseudo)-device can be used as VBD in xenU ?

Jérôme Petazzoni wrote:
I saw examples of VBD using hdXY and sdXY inside virtual machines, like this : disk=phy:hda5,hda1,w

And I would like to do this : disk=phy:md8,md1,w

But it failed (the "real" md driver tried to access something that didn't exist, of course, and rootfs couldn't be mounted). Did I do something wrong, or is the frontend driver only able to "fake" hdXY and sdXY devices ?

I guess that you can export _ALL_ the block devices that make your md8 and create the md *in* the guest.

Exporting a "normal" block device (md8, from the host) is the same as exporting another "normal" block device, like sda2.

FYI, my motivation is to supply mdX devices to ease migration from/to real servers.

IMHO one of the biggest advantages of virtualization is hardware independence. You'll loose (part of) that if you create your md inside the guest... At least it'll be a pain to mantain...

Regards,
Nuno Silva