Re: [Xen-devel] More Xen troubles (with xend this time)

But if the restore operation crashes xend, I will never be able to get a crash dump - unless there's another way to get the information ?

Put '-c' on the restore command line to connect to the console.
I tried that, but it just dumps the domain config in SXP format, and then stops (see below).

If I don't use save/restore/migrate, can I expect Xen to be
stable ?
It's stable for most people even using save/restore/migrate. It
must be something about your particular setup or configuration
which is provoking the bug. We've actually put a fair amount of
effort into trying to reproduce the resume crash, but haven't
managed it.
I must have a "NOLUCK" flag :-) we tried Xen on two different P4 boxes, on two different Celeron boxes, and we had different problems each time. Would some bootflags be of any use ? Do some chipsets have a bad reputation, or something like that ?

Here's what happens when I attempt a restore :

isnpro:~# xm restore xipetotec.xen -c
(domain
   (id 24)
   (name xipetotec)
   (memory 0)
   (maxmem 65536)
   (state ----c)
   (cpu 0)
   (cpu_time 0.045590639)
   (up_time 3.83165788651)
   (start_time 1101834496.66)
   (console
       (status closed)
       (id 58)
       (domain 24)
       (local_port 0)
       (remote_port 0)
       (console_port 9624)
   )
   (devices)
   (config
       (vm
           (name xipetotec)
           (memory 64)
           (restart onreboot)
           (image
(linux (kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xenU) (root '/dev/hda1 ro'))
           )
(device (vbd (uname phy:isnpro/xipetotec-root) (dev hda1) (mode w)))
           (device (vif (mac aa:00:00:00:00:09) (bridge xen-br0)))
       )
   )
)
isnpro:~# xm list
Name              Id  Mem(MB)  CPU  State  Time(s)  Console
Domain-0 0 59 0 r---- 5987.9 Domain-16 16 63 0 -b--- 329.2 Domain-17 17 127 0 -b--- 700.0 Domain-21 21 0 0 ----c 0.0 Domain-22 22 0 0 ----c 0.0 xipetotec 24 0 0 ----c 0.0 9624
isnpro:~#