Re: [Xen-devel] disk throttling

Mark A. Williamson wrote:
Has the plan of turning Xen into a next-gen BIOS been scrapped? It seems
Xen is becoming more and more dependent on having a specific version of
Linux as dom0?

Our proposed next-gen architecture now consists of:
* Safe Hardware Interface - restricted access to machine resources (memory, IO regions...). Provided by Xen itself. * Next gen "BIOS controller" - general machine management... It runs all the time rather than just at bootup. * Driver domains - device drivers scheduled pre-emptively, with restricted hardware access
* Virtual machines - run user applications

In this setup, where would stuff like the net filter be placed? In the network driver domain? How would one register the IP address of a new domain?

It would be really cool to be able to run without a full Linux just for drivers. How much work do you think it would be to port one of the pre-NGIO Xen drivers to run in a separate VM?

I know you guys focus primarily on server-class machines, but I am dreaming of running Xen on a 1000+ node cluster we have here, and with the current mem usage of dom0 (according to postings on this list it has a hard time coping on 32megs or less), this would waste at least 32 gigabytes of mem, just for dom0s.

Jacob