[Xen-devel] Problem when making a domain

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: aq <aquynh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:39:00 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 09:40:47 +0000

Hello,

I am trying to make the first domain. I follow the demo in Xen manual,
by getting the minimalist ttylinux. Here is my configuration file:

--------
$ more tty.xm
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-xenU"
memory = 64
name = "ttyDomain"
disk = [ 'file:~/myxen/rootfs,hda1,w' ]
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
ip = "192.168.1.222"
netmask = "255.25.255.0"
gateway = "192.168.1.1"
--------

In that file, rootfs is from ttylinux tarball.

Then I make the domain with that configuration file, but I got the
error. Here is the excerpt:

-------
$ xm create tty.xm -c
Starting fsck for root filesystem.
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
Couldn't find ext2 superblock, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext2: Invalid argument while trying to open /dev/ram0

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

WARNING: Errors found while checking root filesystem.
You can login as root now, the system will reboot after logout.

Give root password for system maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):
--------

Then I must enter "root" as root password to login. Could you tell me
how to fix this "maintenance system" problem?

One more thing I notice: in the configuration file, following the manual, I set:

root = "/dev/hda1 ro"

Is that fine? I am afraid that it makes the root filesystem read-only,
so once logging in, I cannot modify anything inside ?

Thank you a lot,
AQ