Re: [Xen-devel] Re: debian

On Mon, 2004-12-13 at 14:10 +0200, Nuutti Kotivuori wrote:
> James Harper wrote:
> > I just tried building a debian xen0 kernel with the standard make-kpkg
> > tools and the packages from www.terrabox.com, and while it gave me a
> > resulting package, I noted the following:
>
> > . resulting package name is kernel-xen0-2.6.9_1_i386.deb where I would
> > have expected kernel-image-2.6.9...
>
> This is intentional, I believe, but I'm not sure if it is
> correct. Obviously kernel-image-2.6.9 is different from
> kernel-xen0-2.6.9 and needs to contain different scripts and be
> handled differently. But, since the kernel version is still the
> determining factor in many paths (like /lib/modules/2.6.9), the
> package would need to conflict with every other kernel by the same
> version. So, I'm really not sure what would be the best approach here.

This is why I use kver-extraver-privmode as the uname -r in
xenlinuxbuilder. You can specify extraversion in make-kpkg and avoid
this kind of conflict in most things.

> > . no initrd generated on install even though I requested one on the
> > make-kpkg commandline
>
> I would say this is a bug - the Xen postinst scripts are not those of
> normal i386 kernels I believe, so they need fixing. I have never tried
> initrd kernels with Xen.

Probably because the initrd creation scripts for i386-xen don't exist
yet. Probably just a symlink to the normal i386 in debian would do the
trick. :)

> > . enabling pnp bios support caused a failed compile. Probably don't want
> > this anyway though as I understand there is no way to access pnp bios
> > info from xen.
>
> There are things in the kernel config, which if enabled, cause the
> compilation to fail. The Xen guys probably will be fixing these as
> they crop up.

I'm hitting a few myself at compile time as I refine a +kitchen-sink
config for the debianized kernels that I haven't released yet. I'll
release info when I get back to tweaking the sets.