Re: [Xen-devel] Installation trouble on Dell Poweredge SC420

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Paul Pianta <pantz@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:53:19 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:54:24 +0000

On Tue, 2004-12-14 at 10:52 +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > Here is the output of lspci for the scsi card that is in the machine ...
> >
> > ---snip---
> > 04:02.0 RAID bus controller: Adaptec ASC-39320(B) U320 w/HostRAID (rev
> > 10)
> > 04:02.1 RAID bus controller: Adaptec ASC-39320(B) U320 w/HostRAID (rev
> > 10)
> > ---snip---
> >
> > The driver for this card is the aic79xx.o and I see that it is compiled
> > into the Xen kernel.
>
> Does the kernel report seeing any disks or partitions?

I wish I could copy/paste the output of the kernel messages here but I
am too lazy to write them all down on paper and then type them in here.
It doesn't seem that the Xen kernel sees the disks at all. The software
raid drivers seem to be loading (I see the md RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5,
etc stuff load) but there is never any mention of any /dev/sdx
or /dev/mdx in the kernel messages.

Is there any way to force load the aic79xx driver to load on the grub
command line?

> I think other people have used this driver successfully with Xen
> before, but I'm not 100% sure. The other thing you could try
> would be to add 'ignorebiostables' to the Xen command line, just
> in case its an interrupt routing issue.

Unfortunately this made no difference :(

This Dell machine is giving me a little bit too much grief for nothing -
Urge to kill rising ...

--
pAntZ

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when
you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!