Re: [Xen-devel] SMP guest support in unstable tree.

> SMP guests can use between
> 1 and 32 virtual cpus, even if the machine has fewer physical cpus.

I note that the Xen-2.1 roadmap aims for the ability to transparently &
dynamically reassign a VM to a new real processor on the same node ("CPU
load balancing").  Is this already in place?

What are the proposed models for assigning virtual processors to real
processors?  In particular, is there an aim toward gang scheduling of
virtual processors?

Are there thoughts on how virtual-multiprocessor guests change resource
allocation?  For example, if I have a two-virtual-processor guest [A] and
a four-virtual-processor guest [B], and I assign them each a 50% share, is
it more "correct" for:

1. Each virtual processor to get 1/6 of the total real processor
availability;
2. Each virtual processor of A to get 1/4, each of B to get 1/8;
3. The sum of the virtual processors of A to get no more than 1/2, etc.;
4. Something else?

I realize all these are easily configurable & nothing needs to be set in
stone; am mainly interested if there's been any off-list discussion of
this sort of thing.

--
Dr. John Linwood Griffin
Research Staff Member, Secure Systems Department