Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Xen/ia64 status (and solicitation for alpha testers and developers)

> All the privilege-sensitive (and reads of write-privilege-sensitive
> registers) also need to trap and be emulated.  I force this to
> happen by finding and translating all such instructions to other
> unique illegal/privilged bit patterns that trap.

OK that's what was guessing from code in Xen.  It's quite nice that this is
workable, in fact!

> This is all slow but, as with x86, paravirtualization will greatly
> reduce the number of privops emulated and bring performance to
> within a couple percent of native (as demonstrated in our VM'04
> paper on vBlades).

Out of interest, what are the modifications likely to look like in terms of
the source tree?  Will it be necessary to introduce a new (sub?) architecture
to Linux in order to incorporate them?

Also, do you / will you support legacy IA-32 code?

Sorry for all the questions.  Xen on IA-64 looks very cool stuff!

Cheers,
Mark