RE: [Xen-devel] Problems with networking

  • To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Brett Lentz (Excell Data Corporation)" <a-blentz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:20:52 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:22:29 +0000

> >So, it's the configuration of the virtualized eth device
> that matters,
> >not the vif?
> >

> YES! Most times you don't need to bother with vif setup.
> The only exception is if you also have different VLANS for
> different networks on your server, which means you have to
> assign which bridge the vif belongs to (by default all goes
> to xen-br0).

It would be REALLY nice if the documentation were updated to include
this.

> >>It IS possible to make outside world thinks they have the same IP
> >>

> >address, but that will involve iptables and/or ipvs. Harder to setup.
> >
> >I can forsee this being a very common installation scenario for Xen.
> >Perhaps developing a basic HOWTO and getting it added to the Xen
> >documentation would be a good idea?
> >

> One would argue that it is the job of firewall and/or load
> balancer, not Xen :)

Again, the docs should really say this. :-)

After some more tinkering with the bridge-utils I was able to get a very
basic working setup.

Now that I see how it all works together, I've got some ideas on how to
achieve what I want.

--Brett.