Re: [Xen-devel] [patch 4/5] xen: netback mac selection

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 01:40:02AM +0100, Jody Belka wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:08:38AM -0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > I'd be interested to hear how you intend to hook into the hotplug
> > system.
>
> Already doing it in my test netback domain. It "just works", without
> any real work. When the interface is registered by the driver, hotplug
> gets called with the information, which then calls the hotplug network
> script. Now, on debian-based systems that then calls ifup for the interface
> with "=hotplug" added, which leads to the hotplug mapping stanza if it's
> defined. In my test domain i have the following:

Oh, another alternative (with debian anyway, again), is to set up an
/etc/iftab file. The debian network hotplug script calls ifrename
before running ifup, so with that you can rename the interfaces to
something else, and then use the new names in the /etc/network/interfaces
file. In fact, i think i'll do that instead of using the mapping stanza,
as it feels a bit cleaner.

Jody Belka
knew (at) pimb (dot) org