RE: [Xen-devel] boot loaders for domain != 0

  • To: "Andy Whitcroft" <apw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 14:28:45 -0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 14:31:13 +0000

> I know that one doesn't need a bootloader for domains != 0.
> However, I
> have a desire to configure a system this way (to make it a
> good facimily
> of a bare metal system) and am wondering what if any support for boot
> loaders there might be?  I presume that there is no BIOS
> available when
> running on 'xen virtualised hardware'.  Is there anything
> even similar
> available or planned.  How hard might it be?

I think you could get most of this functionality by allowing the
location of the kernel to be specified as a file within one of the
guests virtual disks (assuming dom0 knows how to mount the root file
system).

We could also access a config file within the guest's virtual disk that
could be used to override a subset of the config parameters (e.g.
command line, kernel image name etc).

E.g.:

  kernel = phy:vg01/myvm//boot/vmlinuz.gz

This would mount mount /dev/vg01/myvm, copy out the kernel file to /tmp,
unmount the partition, then use the kernel in /tmp as the image.

Volunteers? :-)

Thanks,
Ian