[Xen-devel] ATI Radeon 9600SE and intel-agp, again

  • To: xen-devel <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacobg@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2005 18:47:04 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 02:47:29 +0000

hi,

I have now switched over to using the open 'R300' ATI Radeon driver in my quest for accellerated 3D under Xen.

I have the driver running with reasonable performance under normal Linux, but in Xen it still refuses to load due to the lack of intel-agp.

intel-agp refuses to load because the call to MMU_SET_FOREIGNDOM (trying to give the I/O pages to dom_io) fails, because the pages are owned by dom0 instead of by dom_io. If I remove the ownership check in get_page() (in Xen) I can load the module, but dom0 will crash when X tries to map AGP memory.

Again, this is _before_ any nonstandard drivers are loaded, just a plain Xenlinux on top of a plain Xen. intel-agp is the first module loaded.

The good news:

1) There is an open Radeon 3D driver for which we have the source.
2) This driver and the ATI fglrx driver fail in exactly the same way, meaning there is still hope for getting the fglrx driver working as well.

and the bad news:

1) intel-agp refuses to load with an ATI 9600SE (r350 chip, 8x AGP, 128meg DDR) card under Xen, though the same config works fine in plain Linux.

I will try and understand how this stuff is supposed to work, I have an internet-connected debug-machine with serial console, if anyone with more Xen-AGP knowledge wishes to help debugging this.

Jacob