RE: [Xen-devel] debian python-install.patch (3 of 5)

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Ian Pratt wrote:

>  > > >  --home causes python's distutils to install into
> > Er, in all packages I have ever used, make dist has given me
> > a tree(which is
> > normally placed into a tar by upstream, and 'dist'ributed,
> > hence the name),
> > that can then be optionally overlayed ontop an already
> > installed system.
>
> Yes, but its quite usual for bpeople to install Xen on a different
> system to which is was built (e.g. our binary install tar file).
> Installing into /usr/lib/python/ means that it'll be found on the module
> search path, whereas /usr/lib/python$ver/site-packages will only work if
> the version is the same.
>
> Do you use the dist directory for your package build? If not, why do you
> care?

I don't use the dist target, but I do use the install target, and set DESTDIR
to debian/install.

> If you do, maybe we'll need some flag to change the behaviour. This will
> all be rather more obvious if we can get the debian package build runes
> checked into the xen repo.

Well, I need to figure out how that can happen.  I may have to maintain some
changes for debian, that make no sense upstream(for instance, disabling the
html doc generation, because latex2html is non-free), and this is difficult
when everything is in one repo.

Besides, if the debian bits are added to bitkeeper, then I can't ever check
things in to them(I'm not allowed to use bitkeeper, because I work on
dpkg-source).