[Xen-devel] saving domains

[Ian == m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx on Thu, 10 Feb 2005 01:51:50 -0000]

  Ian> I don't really buy the resource usage argument as a python
  Ian> interpreter is just over 2.5MB RSS and the daemon shouldn't be
  Ian> CPU intensive.

I believe that those concerned about the Python dependency are more
concerned about the disk space and "fatness" of having python
installed at all.  I know I could cook a version of XenCD which fit
into 256Mb or less of RAM if the rootfs didn't have to have Python
installed.  Others are thinking way way smaller than that.

  Mark> It seems a shame to rewrite in C but OTOH with the XCS
  Mark> framework...

Yes, exactly.  Eventually, someone is going to get annoyed enough at
the Python dependency to port x2d2 to xcs or write a lightweight
replacement.  I'd like to see us standardize around xcs, and have a
healthy community of competing control tools.

Last time this came up, however, we got into intractable arguments
about TCP vs UDP  for xcs and whether layering daemons was advised.

Those contributing working code will rightly determine where this all
ends up.

-- jared@xxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.geekcode.com/geek.html