Re: [Xen-devel] NetBSD/Xen kernel fixups?

  • To: Derrik Pates <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Christian Limpach <christian.limpach@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 17:27:09 +0100
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Feb 2005 16:28:27 +0000

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:19:12 -0500, Derrik Pates <demon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In the process of experimenting with Xen, and particularly NetBSD on
> Xen, I noticed that the Xen-patched NetBSD kernel, when invoking 'halt'
> or 'reboot' within NetBSD, it didn't exactly work like these do within
> Linux - the NetBSD domain would continue to spin (apparently invoking
> 'hlt' over and over?), but the domain would not terminate by itself,
> after running 'halt', and 'reboot' would try to reboot, but wouldn't
> succeed - it would claim it was trying to reboot, and stop.

I thought this was working because I remember that I fixed it at some
point.  reboot and shutdown should call the corresponding functions
and halt will not shutdown or reboot the machine but leave it in a
tight loop doing nothing.  I guess it would make sense to use
HYPERVISOR_block instead of the loop so that the domain won't take a
lot of cpu, but other than that I don't see what's wrong with the
current behaviour...

> I went in and added calls to HYPERVISOR_shutdown() and
> HYPERVISOR_reboot() in what appeared to be appropriate places, and now
> 'halt' and 'reboot' do work as expected. However, I'd also like to be
> able to use the 'xm shutdown' command from domain 0. Is there any
> interest in a patch to the netbsd-2.0-xen-sparse tree, that includes
> these changes? I'll have to research how one would execute a userspace
> command from within the kernel, as Linux does, to handle that operation.

Sure, if you can figure out how to do this cleanly, that would be a
good thing to have.  Thanks!

     christian