Re: [Xen-devel] To use xcs or not?

Anthony Liguori wrote:
Jacob Gorm Hansen wrote:

OK, I actually got the impression that using XCS was the easiest way around the problem, as you seem to need a lot of code for setting up your own channel (which I can copy-paste from somewhere I am sure).

For just using notify, it's quite simply. The control channels are complicated because of the ring queue stuff. If you were implementing this as a virtual device in vm-tools (of course, I'm not bias ;-)), all you would do is open /dev/evtchn and add that to the set of listener fds (see the console device for an example of this).

You would also need to allocate a port for notifications (vmm_alloc_port in vm-tools or xc_evtchn_bind_interdomain otherwise). The easiest thing to do would be to use a well known endpoint (anything above 10 should be relatively safe for now although you'll probably need to negotiate it in the future).

Right now, in my domU driver I have:

    gfx_irq = bind_evtchn_to_irq(117);
    printk("got irq %d\n", gfx_irq);

    request_irq(gfx_irq, gfx_interrupt, SA_SAMPLE_RANDOM, "gfx", 0);

/which should get me interrupts when channel 117 gets notified, right?

When you get a read event on /dev/evtchn, all you do is read a 2 byte value from it. This will be the port the event happened on. You'll also have to unmask the event by writing that same value back to the device.

Can I setup my own event channel in the guest, and still access it using /dev/evtchn in dom0?

Hmm from looking at the code in drivers/xen/evtchn/evtchn.c, it seems if I write to this device, I can unmask local event channels, but there is no notion of a target domain.

If I want to notify eventchannel #117 in, say, domain 5, how can I do that from dom0 using /dev/xen/evtchn?

Thanks,
Jacob