Re: [Xen-devel] dynamic libraries

On 23 Feb 2005, at 21:28, Andrei Petrov wrote:

While looking at tools build I noticed that same object files are used to build both static and dynamic libraries (libxc, libxutil). It's normally required to compile in PIC form for dynamic ones. At first I thought that no applcations use those libraries, but no, they are used by all of them. Surprisingly it doens't cause any problems (at
least nobody's complaining, ld.so even).

Well, anyway it doesn't look correct for me, I'd like to come up with a patch but it'll take some time, so I wouldn't mind if some Makefile savvy beat me on it.
Short term solution would be always set -fPIC.

Well, we have the functionality in the build system already; it just isn't the default. Where is it stated that dynamic libraries must be compiled -fPIC? They contain relocation info and so can be relocated wherever needed at run time. Potentially less efficient (library relocated to different addresses cannot have its text pages
shared across processes) but I don't see why it is *disallowed*.

If there's a suitably convincing explanation/reason then I will change the default setting. :-)

 -- Keir