Re: [Xen-devel] XEN on a USB stick

  • To: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Eivind <gentoo.warrior@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:25:12 -0800
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 17:28:18 +0000

Hello All,

Thank you all for your help, and I got it working by using the
previously released XenCD. Dumping the entire content of the CD onto
the usb stick and then install grub on it - works perfectly.

However, some tweaks was necessary. My FAT16 (0x06) FS does not
support filenames longer than 8 characters + the extension. menu.list
in /boot/grub (on my usb stick) must be changed appropriately.

Second, run grub and execute:
- "root (hd1,0)" - this is the MBR of your usb stick (make sure you
are not choosing any other HD on your system ;o)
- "find /boot/grub/stage1" (make sure you are using the right path -
not your host system's /boot. On my system I must mount /dev/hda1 on
/boot. Instead, I created a symlink for /boot/grub to point to my usb
device boot/grub/ directory.
This last step should give you the options of the HDs in your system.
- "setup (hd1,0)" which points to my usb drive.

I am sure there is any other way to do this as well. But it works the
way I intended it to...

Again, Thanks a lot for your help
- Eivind