Re: [Xen-devel] x86-64 tools fix question

Keir Fraser wrote:

On 1 Mar 2005, at 19:56, Jerone Young wrote:

I would like to discuss is this correct, dead wrong, or even needed at
all?

x86/64 has proper barrier instructions -- see include/asm-x86_64/system.h in Linux. It is from there that we should pull our definitions. Barrier macros are defined in a few places in the tools -- we ought to pull them all into one single header incorporated by all tools that need it.

I was just about to send this out myself :-) I think the consensus was to put them all in xc.h. I posted a patch recently that made everything include asm/system.h. All it should take is replacing asm/system.h with xc.h in the patch and then making the necessary changes to xc.h.

For reference, the proper x86-64 barriers are:

#define mb()     asm volatile("mfence":::"memory")
#define rmb()    asm volatile("lfence":::"memory")
#define wmb()    asm volatile("sfence":::"memory")

Regards,
Anthony Liguori

--
Regards,