[Xen-devel] memory allocation guidance

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:50:43 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:51:58 +0000

I've been reading to the documentation and I'm not really clear on how to allocate memory. The impression that gathered is that the allocation specification is the initial allocation given to a domain. From there additional memory can be allocated/deallocated to a domain courtesy to balloon driver/handler.

I would appreciate a pointer to some documentation or some guidance in deciding how to allocate memory to a domain and how it will behave as the system runs. No need for any deep system level information. I'm really looking for operational guidelines and enough background to understand why the choices are made.

part of what triggers this request is that my xen server was acting funny (i.e. significant lags in processing, lots of paging) and I discovered a bad memory stick. Much joy. ;-)

---eric

--
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5

The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
technology - except that we're not.