RE: [Xen-devel] Xen compatibility interface numbering

> Out of curiosity, what happens in dom0 if a domU spoofs its interface
> version?

The domU probably ends up crashing itself. It's not a concern of dom0 or
Xen anyhow,

> >>3.  Can a binary Xen kernel be queried for its
> compatibility version?
> >There's a dom0 op that queries the interface version.
> Is this accessible to the management tools, i.e. can Xend report the
> dom0 interface version to userland?

Yes.

> If I have a domU binary kernel image (vmlinuz), is there any way to
> query its interface version (even a search string for strings+grep)?

As I recall, there's a version identifier in the header.

> >>4.  How frequently does the Xen compatibility interface change?

> >Only when there's a major release number change.
> >

> Major = 1.x, 2.x, 3.x, not 2.0.4 to 2.0.5-pre, right? So the Xen
> interface is compatible between 2.0.4 and the testing/unstable tree.

2.0.x and 2.0-testing are compatible.

Unstable is something entirely different, and is not guaranteed to be
compatible with anything (other than the same version of itself).

The original plan was to have 2.1.x compatible with 2.0.x, but I'm
currently thinking that this will *not* be the case. Given current usage
models, I don't think that this is going to upset too many people. We'll
have to be much more careful to be backward compatible post 3.0.

Ian