Re: [Xen-devel] Debian Problem

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Michael McCabe wrote:

> Hello
> I'm currently trying to get a Debian image running under Xen.  I've
> followed the directions that are available in the user guide but when I
> go to boot the system it doesn't finish booting.  Immediatly after the
> cron daemon starts it appears to hang and shortly after that errors are
> printed to the console that init is respawning to fast.
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

That's not init spawning too fast, but the processes defined with those ids in
/etc/inittab.  In this case, they are gettys.  Disabling them(using # to
comment them out) will solve this non-problem.

I also don't think cron is hanging.

> The only error before that is this. hwclock is unable to get I/O port
> access:  the iopl(3) call failed.

This implies you are booting domU, which doesn't have access to the raw io
ports.  You can actually remove hwclock from the bootscripts of domU
instances, as they all just inherit the time from dom0.

> Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

ps: you didn't mention if this was a dom0 or domU boot.