[Xen-devel] Live Migration and Bridge Settings

Greetings,

I'm having a problem with live migration, and the default network settings used by Xen. I was hoping someone could give me advise on what I'm doing wrong.

I currently have three Linux installations, two of the PCs are running SuSe 9.1/Xen 2.0.5 with the stock xenU and xen0. The third PC is running coLinux (debian) on a WindowsXP machine that exports the Xen's test ttylinux distribution in a flat file.

For this setup I have both Xen hosts NFS mount a directory containing the image. I start a ping process on one of the Xen hosts to monitor network connectivity. I then live migrate the VM from one to host to the other. The ping process will usually fail for approximatley 15-20 seconds (sometimes upto ~50 seconds), and then eventually restart. The VM migrates properly.

I've looked at several tcpdump traces to see if I could find the unsolicited arp being sent, but I don't. In fact I see the Xen host with the ping process re-issue the arp to find the IP address, and then the pings succeed. I added some debug code to the netfront driver to verify that the arp is in fact being queued, and everything looks fine.

I started to suspect that something is wrong with my bridge setup. I started out using the default Xen vif-bridge scripts, but I found that the VM only had connectivity to dom0. The VM wasn't able to ping other hosts on the subnet. From my googling, I discovered that people had similar problems, and based on their success I changed my init scripts. Instead of Xen creating the bridge, I create my own, and label it eth0. I do this before the init scripts configure eth0.

/sbin/ip link set name hw-eth0 dev eth0
/sbin/brctl addbr eth0
/sbin/brctl addif eth0 hw-eth0
/sbin/ip link set up hw-eth0

This works well for me.

I've also tried the routing setup, but I still had problems reaching other hosts from the VM.

While I'm able to migrate domains, I am unable to match the times I had read in the literature (<1 second). Any ideas on where I went wrong, or areas that I should be looking at?

Thanks,
Christopher