RE: [Xen-devel] RFC/Patch: Support for other bootloaders

On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 11:56 -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 15:52 +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
> > [*] would it possible to do something whereby the vmlinuz and initrd
> > image were simply cat'ed together? This might swing the balance the
> > other way from a userbility POV, not sure.
>
> If you're using an initramfs instead of an initrd, you can just cat the
> initramfs to the end of the kernel image.

How is this supported?  I've been looking through linux to find code
that would look for this, but haven't found it.  Can you provide a
pointer?

> It's still ugly from a user's perspective, but since this isn't the
> default (the default case is you're booting with grub and you can take
> advantage of multiboot), it's probably not too bad.

If the above is true,  I'd argue add that we should not bother with
trying to package a Linux kernel and a ramdisk.   This is something that
would appear to be a Linux and Linux tools issue.   Hence, there is only
a requirement to load Xen and one image which is dom0 (with any ramdisk
embedded in that image).  This could simplify a fair bit of code.

--
Michal Ostrowski <mostrows@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>