Re: [Xen-devel] domU Filesystems

Brian Hays wrote:

Hello,

What is the best way to create guest (domU) filesystems? I am
currently running the latest version on Xen on FC3 and would like to
create a Redhat 9 and Fedora Core 1 filesystem for use on domU's. What
is the best way to accomplish this, and also ... will Redhat 9 boot on
the 2.6.11 kernel (I'm using the xen & kernel-xen0 & U rpms from the
FC4test1 repository ... it only comes with 2.6 kernels)? If not how
can I add another xenU kernel (2.4 version)?

Thank you,
Brian
Possible strategies for fresh domU installation that I'm aware of:
1) install to bare hardware, and then copy the filesystem to a place where xen can load it
2) install into vmware and then do the same
3) qemu probably works as well...I haven't tried it
4) find a disk image/tarred archive of an installed base system, and extract it to a xen accessible partition 4a) find a disk image of an earlier version and use apt/yum/emerge/etc to update it after installing (note that uml and colinux are two projects that have pre-existing disk images of some popular distros) 5) use your distro's procedure to bootstrap into a chroot environment (if it has one) such as debian's debootstrap or by using gentoo's stage3 installation approach. (none for RedHat9 that I'm aware of)

-Tupshin