[Xen-devel] xend unable to start: xen.lowlevel.xu.PortError

Dear developers,

We are unable to start xend after it hung and we decided to kill it. We
are using a 2.0.5 version xen tree (built from source).

When issuing a xend start the xend-debug.log contains the following
traceback:
    d = vm.construct(config)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 453, in
construct    self.construct_image()
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 480, in
construct_image    image_handler(self, image)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 1065, in
vm_image_linux    vm.create_domain("linux", kernel, ramdisk, cmdline)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 757, in
create_domain    self.create_channel()
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/XendDomainInfo.py", line 782, in
create_channel    remote_port=remote)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/SrvDaemon.py", line 660, in
createDomChannel    remote_port=remote_port)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/channel.py", line 59, in
domChannel    remote_port=remote_port)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/channel.py", line 229, in
__init__    remote_port=remote_port)
  File "/usr/lib/python/xen/xend/server/channel.py", line 113, in
createPort    remote_port=int(remote_port))
xen.lowlevel.xu.PortError: Failed to map domain control interface

We've already duplicated the entire system to another host which runs
xend fine. We assume that it will start to work after a reboot. However
a reboot is not an option on this production system. There are no ports
bound near 8000 (+) or 96xx. We've tried to run xend on an different
port (changing /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp to: (xend-port         8500))
but that yeilded no better result. We've also tried binding it to
0.0.0.0, localhost and 127.0.0.1.

xfrd does succesfully start:
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:8002            0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN      13420/xfrd

Where can we look to fix this problem without having to reboot, and
without encountering the same problem again? Browsing the source-code
didn't give me any pointers yet. Please tell me if more information
would be helpful and what info that would be.

--
Kind regards,

Erik de Bruijn
BudgetDedicated

www.BudgetDedicated.com | Tel. +31 13 4690625 | Fax. +31 84 2248796 | Mob. +31
6 21856715 | Adres: Adelaarshorst 9 | Zipcode NL-5042 XE Tilburg