Re: [Xen-devel] x86_64/page.h L1_DISALLOW_MASK, etc

On 29 Mar 2005, at 01:15, Karen White wrote:

In xen/include/asm-x86/x86_64/page.h, it appears the #defines for
L1_DISALLOW_MASK, L2_DISALLOW_MASK, etc. have the assignment backwards
in the conditional test.  The current code appears to be setting the NX
bit if the cpu does not have the NX feature, as opposed to if it does.

Yes, because it's a disallow mask. We don't want to disallow the NX bit if the CPU supports it, so we don't OR it into the mask. The current way round is correct.

Also, what exactly is being set when setting the 3 bits for the
L2_DISALLOW_MASK, L3_DISALLOW_MASK, and L4_DISALLOW_MASK definitions?

Bit 7 is PSE, which we don't support in guest tables.
Bit 8 is PGE: also unsupported.
Bit 9 is a mistake -- it's available for OS use -- so I will remove it from the mask.

 Thanks,
 Keir

Karen