[Xen-devel] save/restore problems

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 20:51:15 -0800
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:30:50 +0000

Hi All,

I am running into a bunch of problems when trying to do save/restore.
(I am NOT running the latest xen. I am running 2.0)

I am trying out the FC-1, and RH-ES-9 images. I can create domains for
all the three. But when I save some configurations of these images
(for example, install some rpms on a clean image and save the image)
and then restore them, I am running into the following issues:

(1) FC-1: The most success I have is with this. I can do save and
restore. But as soon as I execute a command remotely that modifies the
file system (e.g., "ssh -n hostname "do-some-fs-updates.sh"), it
starts complaining that the filesystem is read only. The error on the
console looks something like:

xen_blk:  Unexpected blkif status disconnected in state connected
blkfront: recovered 0 descriptors
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
nfs warning: mount version older than kernel
EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_free_blocks: bit already cleared for
block 293633
Aborting journal on device sda1.
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device sda1): ext3_journal_start: Detected aborted journal
Remounting filesystem read-only
EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
ext3_reserve_inode_write: aborting transaction: Journal has aborted in
__ext3_journal_get_write_access<2>EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in
ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
ext3_reserve_inode_write: aborting transaction: Journal has aborted in
__ext3_journal_get_write_access<2>EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in
ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in ext3_orphan_del: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in ext3_truncate: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted
EXT3-fs error (device sda1) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Doing this a couple of times (shutdown and then restore again)
corrupts the fs and then i need to run fsck at boot time to get back
to normal status.

(2) RH-ES-9: The save command ("xm save RHES9 myRHES9") just hangs.
Does not do anything.

My question is whether this is something that anyone have seen before
and/or whether anyone could point me to why this happens here and/or
whether installing 2.0.5 would solve this for me.

Thanks
-Hari