Re: [Xen-devel] poor domU VBD performance.

What I was getting at was that the backend  will split requests
up and issue each physical segment as a separate bio  (at least in
the 2.0.5 tree I have in front of me). And that none of these
physical segments was more that 1 page.

So the request merging in the back end OS is important, no?

Ah, this reminds me I have one more question for Jens.

Since all the bio's that I queue up in a single invocation of dispatch_rw_block_io() will actually be adjacent to each other (because they're all from the same scatter-gather list) can I actually do something like (very roughly):

bio = bio_alloc(GFP_KERNEL, nr_psegs);
for ( i = 0; i < nr_psegs; i++ )
   bio_add_page(bio, blah...);
submit_bio(operation, bio);

Each of the biovecs that I queue may not be a full page in size (but won't straddle a page boundary of course).

This would avoid the bio's having to be merged again later.

 -- Keir