RE: [Xen-devel] Proposal for Xen support of performance monitoring anddebug hardware

  • To: "William Cohen" <wcohen@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Ian Pratt" <m+Ian.Pratt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:29:27 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:33:55 +0000

> I have been working on a proposal to add Xen support for
> performance monitoring and debugging hardware. The goal of
> this would be enable OProfile, perfmon, and perfctr to work
> on Xen. The proposal is still pretty preliminary, but I would
> like comments on the current version.

William, have you seen the patches from Jose Renato Santos for multi VM
oprofile support? We're planning on getting these checked in to the xen
repo, after a little reworking.

It's somewhat orthogonal to your msr protection scheme, but you should
be aware of it.

I can certainly see some merit in having fine grained access control
over MSRs, though for the case of perf counter registers I wander
whether we'd be better off with some higher-level interface?

What other msr's do you anticipate your scheme being used to provide
restricted access to for selected VMs?

Best,
Ian