RE: [Xen-devel] glibc patch for TLS?

Am Montag, den 25.04.2005, 21:57 +0100 schrieb Ian Pratt:

> > Nope, that's what I forgot.  I recompiled the patched glibc
> > with that flag and everything seems to be working fine.  I
> > can post the ebuild if people are interested.  It's pretty
> > straightforward, just adding the patch and making for the
> > CFLAGS get set properly.
> >
> > I'm now compiling all my packages with
> > -mno-tls-direct-seg-refs.  Is this necessary/recommended?  I
> > know some ebuild strip out CFLAGS it's unsure of, so if it's
> > necessary other packages may need to be modified.

Now it's really cool to run a source distro like gentoo. I wonder if you
can bootstrap it with that CFLAGS?

> Glibc really hammers the thread local storage stuff and hence
> experiences rather more of a slow down rather than any applications
> we've come across, but it would obviously be preferable to recompile
> anything that uses tls.
>
> One of the hard things is figuring out which applications actually make
> use of the thread local attribute, and hence would actually benefit from
> recompiling.
>
> I guess we could modify the warning message to print out the name of the
> process that did the -ve segment access...

Would be really helpful for all others running binary distros (like me).
I have to identify the individual FC-rpms to rebuild them. So i vote for
it.

As FC4test shippes with Xen: how did they solve the probem (did they)?

/nils.