Re: [Xen-devel] Re: Are linker scripts needed?

On 23 May 2005, at 11:22, Tian, Kevin wrote:

Frist, to clarify a term: Do you mean vmx container as "vmx domain" ? :)

I mean the 'guest mode' of VMX, as opposed to code that runs in VMX domain context, but within the hypervisor in 'host mode'.

Major benefit of your approach, from my thought, is that backend driver
in service OS can service both para-virtualization and
full-firtualization domain then, with a unified channel interface and
logic, right? I'm trying to understand how 'virtual smm mode' you
mentioned can be achieved, and thinking at least following modifications
may be required:

I thought that VMX provided a virtual equivalent of SMM, where management and emulation code can run under the OS's feet without it realising? If this is not provided then I do not think the trick can work, as you would need to steal some virtual address space in which to execute the qemu code.

 -- Keir