[Xen-devel] ac_timer: time to say goodbye?

  • To: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins)" <dan.magenheimer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:59:52 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 23 May 2005 19:59:23 +0000

It appears that the ac_timer code is not used very much
anymore.  (Not that it's not used at all, just not very
much... grep for ac_timer.)  It's kind of a heavyweight
mechanism for a hypervisor... I wonder if it might be
possible to dispense with it entirely?

The reason I ask now is that, as part of the ia64 CONFIG_VTI
checkin, some new timer code got added that makes use
of ac_timer and I'm concerned that this might be a step in the
wrong direction.

As domains more completely manage their own timer interrupts,
the only use for time in Xen itself is for time-slicing
domains, correct?

Should ac_timer be removed and replaced by a lighter weight
mechanism, or at least its use deprecated?

Comments welcome.

Dan