Re: [Xen-devel] Genapic

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 09:22:47PM +0100, Keir Fraser wrote:

> On 24 May 2005, at 20:58, Puthiyaparambil, Aravindh wrote:
>
> >I am fine with going down the x86_64 genapic route for Xen. The only
> >thing is that I know that IRQ overrides are not present in the x86_64
> >genapic. So that might have to be brought over for the ES7000.
> >
> >I would like to start working on bringing the x86_64 code over. Will
> >this clash with anyone else?
>
> I'm about halfway through bringing i386 platform code over. I'm working
> on smp bootup and cpumask_t right now, but genapic is next and should
> be quite simple. I'd rather take the more flexible i386 code in the
> first instance (which will immediately support es7000, for example) and

It is actually not more flexible at all for the dynamic case.

With a static compile you have some more choices, should you really
want to support the Numasaurus (aka NUMAQ) or SGI Visual Workstation
(kind of a SGI O2 with a x86 CPU) or Voyager (NUMA 486).  Somehow I cannot
imagine you really want that though, these are all quite old and obscure
machines.

A lot of the cruft in the i386 layer even comes from PC98 support
(which was a old Japanese not quite PC x86 platform), which was later
dropped because it was unmaintained. The hooks it needed were
never cleaned up unfortunately.

-Andi