Re: [Xen-devel] xen_version hypercall

> at the moment, xen_version hypercall returns only xen-version and
> xen-subversion (as a long number). but there is xen-extraversion. so i
> wonder if it is better for this hypercall to returns also
> extraversion? (so the return value is a string, not a number)

Hmmmm.  Well the xen_version hypercall is used for OSes to determine the ABI
of the version of Xen they're running on (I think), so it kinda makes sense
for that to be a long.

For your xm info updates my personal preference would be to leave the version
hypercall the same and to fetch the additional details with a new dom0 op in
the common directory (would anyone have a problem with this?).

The additional info would ideally allow the whole Xen version string to be
pieced together, as displayed at boot e.g.

"Xen version 3.0-devel (mwilli2@) (gcc version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat
3.4.2-6.fc3)) Mon May 16 15:12:17 BST 2005"
(like uname -a)

Or a subset of that info.

What do you think?

Cheers,